We were heading to the most northern tip of Australia, and we stopped at The Bend, near Coen.
It was dinner time and I decided to make outback burgers. The first thing was to make delicious campfire burger buns for the burgers themselves.
Necessity is the mother of invention. Especially if you are in the middle of nowhere and burger buns are needed urgently!
Prep time: 1,5 – 2 hours
Cook time: 15 -20 minutes
Campfire Burger Buns – Ingredients
- 0.5 kg of flour
- 1 packet of yeast
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 200 ml of water
- 50 ml of milk
- 1 egg
- 30 g of melted butter
- sesame seeds (or other seeds of your choice)
- olive oil (to coat inside of Dutch oven)
1. Prepare a bowl and mix milk, yeast, sugar, and salt. Slowly add water to the process.
2. Add egg and butter. It is much easier if butter is soft or melted, so I suggest, take the butter from the fridge and leave it in the sun to get it softer. If it is hot, you need just a few minutes.
3. Once combined, knead the dough for around 6-7 minutes and leave it for 30-60 minutes in a bowl covered with a kitchen towel or small cloth.
4. Once the dough doubles in size, divide the dough into 7 or 8 pieces and shape them into small balls.
5. Brush burger buns with melted butter and sprinkle some sesame seeds.
6. Insert trivet into Duch oven and sprinkle (or spray) some olive oil.
7. Leave buns for another 15 minutes to puff up again.
8. If you use a bigger Dutch oven – preheat. I use a small one and this step wasn’t necessary.
9. Insert buns into the oven, cover it with a lid, and set the dutch oven on hot charcoal, and cover the lid with charcoal as well for even temperature circulation.
10. Bake buns for 15-20 minutes. In the photo you notice I was making patties for my outback burgers so make sure to read the next stop).
If you tried my outback burgers recipe or you have any suggestions please add a comment below.
Get Our Secret Family Recipe
Subscribe and receive our FREE recipe for Strawberry Braided Bread that is passed down in our family from generation to generation.
Enjoy outdoor cooking with Tentworld equipment
Did you like our content?