Who doesn’t love campfire pizza? We eat it once a week while we’re at home. But where can you get pizza in the middle of nowhere?
During our trip to Cape York, we had the opportunity to free camp at The Bend near Coen. The campsite is spread out alongside a shallow creek, and this is where we stopped to make our campfire pizza.
It was a beautiful, warm afternoon, so we started a campfire, and I decided that we deserved something special to eat – campfire pizza!
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes/pizza
- 1/2kg flour
- 1 teaspoon of white sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 packet of dry yeast
- 1 spoon of oil olive
- Tomato sauce
- Sliced mushrooms
- Shredded cheese
- Dry oregano leaves
Campfire Pizza Instructions
- Combine flour, water, yeast, sugar and salt.
2. Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and leave it for 15 minutes. Next, knead it until smooth and elastic. Let the dough rise until it doubles in size.
3. Punch down the dough, knead a few times, and split it into four equal parts. Flatten the dough and stretch out into a round shape.
4. Insert trivet into the Dutch oven, and grease it with some olive oil. Insert the flat dough pieces into the Dutch oven. Spread with tomato sauce and add toppings: cheese, pepperoni, and mushrooms. Sprinkle dry oregano leaves on top.
5. Cover the dutch oven with the lid and set it on hot charcoals. Place some hot charcoals on the top of the lid as well.
6. We waited around 20 minutes for the pizza to bake. We really enjoyed the late, warm, windless afternoon and the amazing camping location. And as a bonus, we had delicious campfire pizza for dinner. What more could you ask for?
7. And this is the final effect – we still need to work on a shape but the taste was amazing!
Making campfire pizza is a great fun that can be enjoyed in the great outdoors. With a few simple ingredients and some creativity, you can create a tasty meal.
So, next time you go camping, consider trying out this easy and tasty recipe. And don’t forget to enjoy the beautiful scenery while you wait for your pizza to cook!
Have you ever tried making a campfire pizza while camping? What was your secret recipe? Please drop a comment below.
Get Our Secret Family Recipe
Subscribe and receive our FREE recipe for Strawberry Braided Bread that is passed down in our family from generation to generation.