Who does not love campfire pizza? We eat it once a week while being home. However, where to get pizza in the middle of nowhere?
During our trip to Cape York, we had an opportunity to free camp at The Bend, near Coen. The campsite is spread out alongside a shallow creek and this is where we stopped to make our campfire pizza. The next day we were going to Laura Dance Festival in Quinkan country and The Bend was our last stop before meeting many people in Laura.
It was a beautiful, warm afternoon, so we started a campfire and I decided we deserve something special to eat – campfire pizza!
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes/pizza
- 1/2kg flour
- 1 teaspoon of white sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 packet of dry yeast
- 1 spoon of oil olive
- Tomato sauce
- Sliced mushrooms
- Shredded cheese
- Dry oregano leaves
Campfire Pizza Instructions
- Combine flour, water, yeast, sugar and salt.
2. Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and leave it for 15 minutes. Next, knead it until smooth and elastic. Let the dough rise until it doubles in size.
3. Punch down the dough, knead a few times, and split it into four equal parts. Flatten the dough and stretch out into a round shape.
4. Insert trivet into the Dutch oven, and grease it with some olive oil. Insert the flat dough pieces into the Dutch oven. Spread with tomato sauce and add toppings: cheese, pepperoni, and mushrooms. Sprinkle dry oregano leaves on top.
5. Cover the dutch oven with the lid and set it on hot charcoals. Place some hot charcoals on the top of the lid as well.
6. Wait around 20 minutes for the pizza to be baked. We really enjoyed this late, warm, windless afternoon and amazing camping location. And as a bonus, we had a campfire pizza for diner. What else would you want?
7. And this is the final effect – we still need to work on a shape but the taste was amazing!
Have you ever tried making a campfire pizza while camping? What was your secret recipe? Please drop a comment below.
Get Our Secret Family Recipe
Subscribe and receive our FREE recipe for Strawberry Braided Bread that is passed down in our family from generation to generation.