It was a day full of surprises. We were about to leave Port Douglas and continue our Cape York trip. We did not know that in the evening we will have pan-fried fish for dinner.
We decided to go for our last walk to 4 Mile Beach. On the way back, we saw a couple with many fish at the table in Jalun Park. It happened they just returned from a fishing charter to the reef. We admired their catch, had a nice talk and surprisingly they offered us one fish. On occasions like this, we never say ‘No’.
And that is how we got our fish without going fishing.
We had an opportunity to prepare our meal in a beautiful place – Lync Haven Rainforest Caravan Park – right in the middle of the Daintree rainforest.
This pan-fried fish recipe was very simple. We did not have any veggies so we served it with fried potatoes.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Pan-fried fish – Ingredients
- 6 potatoes
- 1 reef fish, we used crimson snapper
- olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of dry garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of chilly flakes
Pen-fried fish – Instructions
- There are two options to prepare fish: filet it or scale it and cut it in rings. We gutted the fish, scale it and prepare small ring peaces that fit the frying pan perfectly.
2. Peel potatoes and slice them into small flat pieces. Put them into a plastic bag and add some olive oil, salt, dry garlic, and chilli flakes. Close the bag, mix it all together and leave it for 10 minutes.
3. Heat up the frying pan, and put in some olive oil. Once the oil is hot add potatoes and fry them until they are light brown. Potatoes can be done first as preparing the fish takes some time.
4. Once potatoes are done, it is time to fry fish. Added some salt and pepper. Fry fish until the skin colour turns golden.
5. Serve with potatoes and enjoy your evening.
What do you think about this recipe? It is indeed very simple, but when you go camping you often don’t have much time for cooking as usually the next day you are going somewhere else.
Please drop your comment below.
Get Our Secret Family Recipe
Subscribe and receive our FREE recipe for Strawberry Braided Bread that is passed down in our family from generation to generation.