Camping soups or stews can be a convenient option for travellers who don’t want to spend time preparing dinner after reaching their destination. To save time, these soups can be prepared in the morning before packing up your equipment and hitting the road.
Simply prepare your meat and vegetables, cook for 15 minutes, and then transfer to a thermal pot, which will keep the soup hot allowing it to still cook while you drive.
This method of cooking is not only efficient but also cost-effective as it uses minimal gas. Additionally, it allows you to stop and enjoy a proper lunch during your journey whenever you fill hungry.
This recipe is similar to our Slow Cooked Barbeque Chicken.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes (on the stove)
Equipment: Thermal Pot
Winter vegetable camping soup – Ingredients
- 2 chicken breasts
- Vegetable soup pack
- 2 potatoes
- Tomato paste
- Granulated garlic
- Oregano leaves
- Salt & pepper
1. Peel and chop 2 medium-sized potatoes and veggies into small chunks (we bought ready to use soup pack)
2. Insert chicken breast into a pot. Pour in 1 litre of water or enough to cover the chicken. Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat.
3. Once the soup is boiling, add all veggies.
4. Next add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste. And at this stage, add salt, pepper, and herbs.
5. After adding all the ingredients to the pot, bring the soup to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Allow the soup to cook for another 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Check the soup for seasoning and add more salt if needed.
Cover the pot again and let it cook for another 1-2 minutes, allowing the steam to build up. Finally, quickly transfer the soup to a thermal pot and close the lid to keep it hot until ready to serve.
The winter vegetable camping soup should be ready after approximately 2 hours of cooking, but the cooking time may vary depending on the ingredients used. Once the soup is ready, it makes for a perfect meal while camping.
On a cold winter evening in Calliope, Queensland, we enjoyed this winter vegetable camping soup with a quick campfire garlic bread that paired perfectly with the warm and comforting soup.
If you try this recipe, we’d love to hear about your experience in the comments below.
Get Our Secret Family Recipe
Subscribe and receive our FREE recipe for Strawberry Braided Bread that is passed down in our family from generation to generation.