Dutch Oven Banana Bread – super easy dessert while camping
After hours of driving through Australia’s vast and dusty outback, there’s nothing like a homemade cake to comfort your soul and satisfy your hunger.
For us, dutch oven banana bread has become a go-to option, whether we’re camping in the wilderness or taking a break on a road trip.
With its simple recipe that requires only basic ingredients like flour, sugar, eggs, and bananas (which kids can help mash and mix), banana bread is easy to bake and yields a moist and flavorful treat that can be enjoyed on its own or with a dollop of cream or butter.
The best part is that you can make it anywhere, using a portable dutch oven that can be placed on a campfire, a stove, or even a barbecue. As the aroma of freshly baked bread fills the air, we gather around the oven and share stories, jokes, or songs, feeling the warmth of the fire and the comfort of the food.
Get your campfire equipment with a huge discount
Dutch Oven – suitable for most campfire meals
Cast Iron Frying Pan – useful for any meal preparation
Campfire Cooking Gloves – to keep your hands safe
Banana bread may seem like a humble dessert, but it has a rich history and cultural significance that go beyond borders and generations. It reminds us of the resourcefulness and resilience of people who have turned simple ingredients into delicious treats, and of the joys of gathering together and breaking bread.
There are two options to make dutch oven banana bread:
Option 1: you buy a ready-to-use banana bread mix from Coles or Woolworths.
Option 2: make a mix of fresh bananas and your own ingredients.
We like to make our life simple while keeping the right food balance on our camping trips. If we have the right ingredients we use them, otherwise, we take what we have, and usually, we keep some ready-to-use mixes if we feel like eating a cake. This recipe will be about option 1 – making a dutch oven banana bread from a ready-to-go mix. We baked it on our way to Cape York when we stopped at Bramwell Roadhouse.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 50 minutes
Dutch Oven Banana Bread – Ingredients
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml of milk
- 5 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 medium-sized bananas (if you have them)
- Start a fire at least 30 minutes before to get enough charcoals.
2. Place banana bread mix, eggs, milk, oil and mashed bananas into a small mixing bowl.
3. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
4. Place a baking paper into the dutch oven and if you have a rivet use it as well. Pour the cake mix on top of it. Baking paper will cause the banana bread not to stick to the pot surface.
5. Close the dutch oven lid. Put aside some hot charcoals from the fire and put the pot on top of it. With a shovel, put some charcoals on the lid as well. Depending on how hot is the fire, you may lift the lid and check after 30 minutes how it bakes.
If there is wind, the baking process takes shorter so make sure to check it earlier to not burn the banana bread.
6. The final product should be nice and soft.
Share with us your secret recipe for making a delicious camp oven banana bread in the comments section below. We’ll be sure to respond and look forward to hearing your tips and tricks!
Get Our Secret Family Recipe
Subscribe and receive our FREE recipe for Strawberry Braided Bread that is passed down in our family from generation to generation.
Enjoy outdoor cooking with Tentworld equipment
Read more from our cooking guides
Are you new to bush cooking? – Read our ultimate bush cooking guide