When you drive for a few hours through Australia’s outback and finally stop, there is nothing better than having a cake for dessert. We have been in this situation more than once and dutch oven banana bread is a good option – it’s easy to bake, you don’t need a mixer and you can ask kids to mash the bananas (if you have them).
There are two options to make dutch oven banana bread.
Option 1: you buy a ready-to-use banana bread mix from Coles or Woolworths.
Option 2: make a mix of fresh bananas and your own ingredients.
We like to make our life simple while keeping the right food balance on our camping trips. If we have the right ingredients we use them, otherwise, we take what we have, and usually, we keep some ready-to-use mixes if we feel like eating a cake. This recipe will be about option 1 – making a dutch oven banana bread from a ready-to-go mix. We baked it on our way to Cape York when we stopped at Bramwell Roadhouse.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 50 minutes
Dutch Oven Banana Bread – Ingredients
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml of milk
- 5 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 medium-size bananas (if you have them)
- Start a fire at least 30 minutes before to get enough charcoals.
2. Place banana bread mix, eggs, milk, oil and mashed bananas into a small mixing bowl.
3. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
4. Place a baking paper into the dutch oven and if you have a rivet use it as well. Pour the cake mix on top of it. Baking paper will cause the banana bread not to stick to the pot surface.
5. Close the dutch oven lid. Put aside some hot charcoals from the fire and put the pot on top of it. With a shovel, put some charcoals on the lid as well. Depending on how hot is the fire, you may lift the lid and check after 30 minutes how it bakes.
If there is wind, the baking process takes shorter so make sure to check it earlier to not burn the banana bread.
6. The final product should be nice and soft.
What is your secret recipe for making a dutch oven banana bread? Please drop a comment below and we definitely reply.
Get Our Secret Family Recipe
Subscribe and receive our FREE recipe for Strawberry Braided Bread that is passed down in our family from generation to generation.