We were lucky to cook dutch oven goulash in a beautiful place – Bramwell Station, Cape York.
Goulash, originally Hungarian, so called everything-goes-in meal is a perfect dish while camping. Simply, chuck in everything you have in your camping fridge.
This time my basic ingredients were beef, capsicum, onion. Try it yourself when are away.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 60 -120 minutes
Goulash - Ingredients
- 0.5 kg beef
- beef stock
- 1 big onion
- garlic (fresh or granulated)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- marjoram, thyme & sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 30 g plain flour
- 0.5 kg of flour (we used scone mix)
Goulash - Instructions
1. Start a campfire and run it for at least 30 minutes so there are enough charcoals for cooking.
2. Cut beef into small chunks
3. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a Dutch oven or casserole saucepan.
4. Sprinkle meat with flour (I used a string plastic bag where I’ve mixed them together).
5. Peel and dice one big onion.
6. Fry until meat turns brown, than add onion.
7. When the onion starts to be translucent, add marjoram, thyme, bay leaves & sweet paprika. And garlic, don’t forget garlic 🙂
8. Add beef stock. Cook stirring for around 2 minutes.
9. Close the lid and cover the top of the pot with charcorals.
Goulash is cooking, it’s time to make dumplings!
10. Take a bowl, mix together flour and milk (I did it based on the recipe written on the box)
11. Once everything is combined, form small balls and cover them with a clean towel.
12. Periodically check the goulash and wait until the meat becomes soft (this can take up to 2h.)
13. Drop dumplings into the stew, cover the lid and let it steam for another 20 minutes. Don’t open the lid – otherwise steam will escape.
14. I served it with pickles as I always have a can or a jar in my camping pantry. The meat was tender and full of flavor!
Please let us know if you tried this recipe or maybe have some suggestions!
Check a big range of dutch ovens from Outback Equipment and get it at a discounted price.
Outback Equipment is a leading supplier of camping and caravan accessories. Browse their wide range of camp ovens and camping equipment.