This easy apple crumble can be prepared while you are sitting at a campfire. There is nothing better than a sweet dessert after diner.
We had an opportunity to make it during our trip to the northernmost tip of Australia – Cape York. Our campsite was 10 km off Wujal Wujal at a slow-flowing creek on the edge of the rainforest. There was nobody around, only us and our imagination.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 – 40 minutes
Easy Apple Crumble - Ingredients
- 4 green apples
- 6 tablespoons of sugar
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- Peel apples and cut them into smaller pieces.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the apples.
3. Mix quickly 4 tablespoons of flour with 4 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of cold butter with your fingers. After that, the toping that is prepared should be like wet sand.
5. Make sure there is a small fire going, or start early to have enough charcoal ready.
6. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar on apples, add cinnamon and vanilla.
7. Mix sugar with cinnamon and apples. Sprinkle topping and cover the Dutch oven. Set it on charcoals.
8. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. We rotated the dutch oven every 15 minutes to prevent burn on one side.
9. Yes, that’s golden brown 🙂
10. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream!
The apple crumble was so yummy that we ate it at once. Food tastes different when you make it in a dutch oven. That’s for sure!
Please let us know if you tried this recipe or have any questions. Drop a comment below.
Check a big range of dutch ovens from Outback Equipment and get it at a discounted price.
Outback Equipment is a leading supplier of camping and caravan accessories. Browse their wide range of camp ovens and camping equipment.