Cast iron pots are heavy and it is very important to choose the right size of the Dutch oven to suit all campfire cooking recipes that you may want to try on during your trip. However, how large camp oven do you need? Read all answers below.
Luckily for us, there are many sizes to choose from, so let’s check them out.
There is also an option to buy an aluminium dutch oven which is much lighter than cast iron. However, enamel camp ovens shouldn’t be used for camping cooking because they are not designed for really high temperatures and enamel would be damaged.
Cast Iron Dutch oven size and capacity
|2 Quart||4.5 Quart||6 Quart||9 Quart||10 Quart|
|Number of servings||2-4 serves||4-6 serves||12-14 serves||15-19 serves||20-26 serves|
|Great for||dinner for two||one-dish dinner for the family||one-dish dinner for extended family||feeding a crowd||cooking for a crowd|
How to choose the right size Dutch Oven?
Choosing the right size Dutch oven is important to ensure that it meets your cooking needs and preferences. Here are a few factors to consider when choosing the right size camp oven:
- Cooking needs: Consider the number of people you will be cooking for and the types of dishes you will be making. If you typically cook for a large group or make stews or roasts, a larger Dutch oven would be more suitable. On the other hand, if you’re only cooking for one or two people, a smaller Dutch oven would be sufficient.
- Capacity: Dutch ovens are typically measured by their capacity in quarts or liters. A standard size Dutch oven usually has a capacity of 5-7 quarts, which is sufficient for most families. However, if you are cooking for a larger group, you may need a larger capacity Dutch oven.
- Size of your stovetop or oven: If you also want to use it at home than it’s important to consider the size of your stovetop or oven when choosing a Dutch oven. If you have a smaller stove or oven, you may need to choose a smaller Dutch oven that can fit comfortably.
- Weight: Dutch ovens can be quite heavy, especially when they are filled with food. Consider the weight of the Dutch oven you are considering, as you’ll need to lift it when cooking or cleaning.
- Personal preference: Ultimately, the size of Dutch oven you choose will depend on your personal preferences and cooking needs. If you prefer to make larger batches of food or want more leftovers, a larger Dutch oven may be the right choice. However, if you have limited storage space or don’t need to cook large amounts of food, a smaller Dutch oven may be a better fit.
Camp oven size is measured in quarts.
1 Quart equals one serving of food. It is always a good idea to count extra serves per person to be on the safe side.
It is also not recommended to fill the oven to the brim. As a rule of thumb, we recommend using only 2/3rd of the dutch oven, leaving plenty of room for food to expand.
If you are planning to bake a damper or bread choose a dutch oven with a capacity of around 6 quarts. 4 or 5-quart oven may not leave enough headspace for bread to rise.
Dutch Oven for For singles
A 2-quart dutch oven should be enough for one person dinner. Please note this is a relatively small oven with limited capacity, as this pot is as big as an average saucepan.
Dutch Oven For couples
A 2-quart camp oven is rather small and although should be enough to cook dinner for 1-2 people, stepping up to 4 or 5 quarts would be recommended.
Dutch Oven For the whole family
If you are planning family gatherings, and cooking a meal for 5 to 7 people purchase a 6-quart oven and that would work perfectly.
How big Dutch oven do you need to bake a damper or bread
To bake bread look for a camp oven with a capacity of between 4 and 6 quarts. Smaller sizes can cause bread to expand and burn by the lid. If you insert a trivet at the bottom of the oven its capacity will be also affected.
How big if you want to bake a whole chicken
To roast a whole chicken you need at least a 6-quart oven unless the chicken you intend to bake is really small. This size will also have enough room for potatoes and other vegetables if you want to do it at the same time.
What is a Potjie Pot and how big should I buy?
Potjie pots (Pronounced Poy-kee) are a special type of camp oven. This pot can be used over an open fire or hot bed of coals. This type of camp oven is very popular in South Africa.
All Potjie Pots have rings that will indicate how many serves you can expect from it. The number of rings on the Potjie pot multiplied by the size of the pot equals the number of servings it can produce.
Our Potjie Pot is a size of 3 and has 3 rings, which indicates that we can cook dinner for 9 people. We use this camp oven for one-pot stew recipes. It’s also great for roasting big pieces of meat or whole chicken.
How many people I can feed with a Potjie Pot?
Formula: Number of rings x size of a Potjie Pot
Example: 3 x 3 = 9 people
How large Dutch oven do I need? – Summary
Cooking in a campfire is one of the reasons we go camping. Sitting at the fire while the meal is being prepared, smelling the aroma and looking high to see the stars – what else do you need?
A Dutch oven can last a lifetime if you take good care of it. Read our comprehensive bush cooking guide to learn more about campfire cooking safety and camp oven care.
Enjoy outdoor cooking with Tentworld equipment
From red dirt to tropical rainforest. Ten places anyone should add to their bucket list. Subscribe and receive ten colourful infographics.