While we are on a camping trip we drive a lot. Often we need to get to our destination within a few days, which means driving every day for 5 to 6 hours.
We are not big fans of fast food which is unhealthy anyway. Instead, we found the best way when we are busy all day is to cook our dinner in a thermal pot.
Thermal Pot is a slow-cooking pot. You prepare your meal in the morning, cook for 15 minutes, close the pot and leave it in a thermos to slow cook.
The best thing is you can stop the car any time, once feeling hungry and consume your tasty meal.
This slow cook barbeque chicken we prepared in the morning at Alau Beach in Cape York.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: minimum 40 minutes
Equipment: Thermal Pot
Slow Cooked Barbeque Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- small bottle of BBQ sauce
- 1 red onion
- 4 potatoes
- 4 pieces of bacon
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 tablespoon of oil olive
- salt & pepper
Slow Cooked Barbeque Chicken - Instructions
- Peel potatoes and cut all veggies into small chunks
2. Fry pieces of chicken first
5. Once in browns a little add onion and beckon
6. Once the onion starts to become translucent add pieces of zucchini
7. Follow by BBQ sauce, potatoes and butter
8. Add some water, not too much just to cover potatoes (otherwise they will not cook), salt, and pepper.
10. Cook for 10-15 minutes to allow the temperature to build up. Once this is done insert the pot into a thermos and leave it to slow cook for as long as required.
In this case, we left it for one and a half hour. The meal was tasty and we ate it immediately after we had conquered the tip of Cape York!
11. And that’s how it looked once cooked.
Veggies were nice and soft, and meat tender and full of flavour.
Please let us know if you tried this recipe or maybe have some suggestions!
Check a big range of dutch ovens from Outback Equipment and get it at a discounted price.
Outback Equipment is a leading supplier of camping and caravan accessories. Browse their wide range of camp ovens and camping equipment.